Monday, January 03, 2005

Chatting over this blog by L and F

l: Did you read my blog on research methods?
f: yes
l: who told you?
f: you send me an mail about it
l: from me??????
f: yes
f: spam?
l: maybe you are in some mailing list i was not aware of?
f: i don't know
l: The problem is that no one has contributed up to now
f: But.. why you are doing this?
l: I enjoy doing it
l: but my blog is serious
f: I agree.. but why??????
l: why what?
f: Is a sort of helping group? some 70's style group?
extended to male and female together?
f: Why do you expect that people would write stories?
l: Don't you think it's important to understand research methods?
l: And that sharing experiences would be a way?
f: I would separate personal experiences with research methods
l: the problem is to understand why nobody is writing
f: here is my explanation:
f: about research methods across different fields, inter-disciplinary, i think that only people studying epistemology is really interested...
f: and for them is their job (research topic) and they are not interested in your superficial work...
l: sorry.. but what if I ask you: why don't you write down a story for me? what is your first reaction to my question?
f: first, I am not interested in letting others know my businness
f: second, I do not have time..
l: this is the most common answer..
f: it is not really a matter of time, but of being interested in writing
l: what if others would write: will you enjoy reading their stories?
f: the web is full of blogs..
l: not on research...
f: but if I have time to kill i would prefer to read something not on research...
l: this is a nice answer...
l: better than: i do not need to learn anything from others..
l: I have been to that conference in the Bahamas and I talked about the blog with many colleagues..
l: the most common answer was: I do not have time to kill
l: or: for me writing is so difficult: it takes years to write down an e-mail...
l: or: why are you doing it?
f: I agree
l: or: I think you have a lot of time if you lose it doing this...
f: that's bad..
f: researchers love to do research not to talk about how they do research
f: let people in epistemology or blablabla-people do this task
f: this is my personal idea, and you can ignore it and put it together other criticism of cinical people
f: why don't you start a new blog on some more personal topics and you enjoy yourself with a personal diary...as anyone else...
l: This distinction that you make about 'doing research' and 'talking about research' is something that i do not get ..
l: who is better than the researchers to talk about what they do...
f: I don't agree,
who does research like to talk about results. not about anything else
f: to do research is a serious and full-time task
l: and what's about Phd students? don't you think they need some tools?
f: students learn by observing from others.. or by improving their skill if any
l: but who they observe, if everybody is close in his room?
f: they have discussions with the tutor or with colleagues or in conferences...
f: during lunch-time or coffee break...they do not need a blog...
l: anyway.. i would reflect about the discussion and your point and maybe i would write down a story..

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To comment this story i wuold suggest to read this paper:
http://lila.pz.harvard.edu/_upload/lib/Storytelling_skinny.pdf
Where the importance and the role of storytelling has been highlighted

12:57 PM  
Blogger letiziajaccheri said...

- if people does not want to reflect on her own research process you cannot force them and you will never convince them unless you give good example
- sometimes reflection is triggered by crisis
- research methods and processes (they are not the same) are important but they should not become "the" only object of research.
- it is like in life, we combine living with reflecting about life. right combination must be found

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home