Thursday, December 02, 2004

The beginning of the E3 project by Letizia Jaccheri

E3 means Environment for Experimenting and Evolving Software Processes. I have been working at the E3 project for five years. It is in a way ''my'' project, the project of my PhD thesis. I have supervised master students, a couple of PhD students in the context of the E3 projects. Moreover I published a lot about this project. How did E3 start? How and why E3 finish? Which research method did I use? Which were the good and the bad results of the E3 project?

I have been thinking a lot about these questions, and there are many answers. In this story I will focus about the start of E3. Why and how did it start? I have been working in a previous project in the field of software process modeling. Software process modeling is a software engineering subfield which started at the end of the '80. "Software processes are software too" was the title of a paper written by Osterweil. The idea was that one way to solve the software crisis was that of defining precisely the process that practitioners should follow it. The process should be defined so precisely and formally that it was possible to build a machine or a program that could automate it. The process description, or process program, should guide or even enforce the software development process.

At that time, I was thinking that research was not part of my life, nor I was reasoning about the political, social, and ethical consequences of my research. What is perverse is that I have been a programmer myself, I love to consider myself as a creative person, and I would never like to accept to work enforced by a machine. Nevertheless, I had been working in the EPOS project for a couple of years, published papers at conferences and even on the IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering on that topic. The topic was that of finding efficient languages that enable the process manager to define the process in a precise way so that a program can execute them to guide and or enforce the work of programmers.

E3 started as a project to define one of these languages, which should be easier to understand than the ones I have been working with and developed before. Execution was not the main goal. For the relaxation of the property, E3 received a lot of critics at the beginning.
The main reason why I started the E3 project was that Silvano Gai, a professor at Politecnico, encouraged me to do that. I will always be grateful to him for that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The Coach Outlet logo is also emblazoned on hangtags suspended from the Coach Legacy handles as the finishing touch. The Coach Luggage Tote retails for $198, a rather painful amount even if Coach Madison is a designer purse. Luckily, a few can be found on eBay for a price much easier to swallow.


The perfect Christian Louboutin Sale can show your charm or provide ample space and a perfect slouch. That you need a pair of Christian Louboutin Pumps . I beat her Louboutin shoes, and Christian Louboutin Boots are my admired and I consistently wish to own one pair. If you abrasion Christian Louboutin Sandals , you will be added admirable and confident.


If you planning to purchase Ed Hardy Clothes and other hardy shirts accessories, just please visit hardy shirts online store for more discounts and save your money immediately! The hardy shirt range of cool and casual readymade clothing products is a combination of artistic fines.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home